Saturday, January 2, 2010

Let the Journey Begin!

As I conclude one chapter in my life, I turn the page to begin my next adventure. As many of you know, I have accepted a position as a Peace Corps volunteer in South Africa. The Peace Corps has always been a dream of mine. I hope that you will read my blog and follow me through the twists and turns of my life as a Peace Corps volunteer.

Appling for the Peace Corps is no small feat. I applied to be a Peace Corps volunteer December of last year as I was graduating from college. And here I am twelve months later preparing to travel halfway around the world. In all honesty, I am terrified. I am leaving everything I know behind and leaping into the unknown.

I know very little about what I will be doing and where I will be living in South Africa. As a volunteer, I could be living and working in KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, Mpumalanga or North West Provinces. My job title is a HIV Outreach Worker, this could mean many things, and I just hope that I will be able to put my Social Work skills to use.

My flights are set; I will first fly into Washington, DC for staging. This is the initial orientation where I will be receiving all my shots and vaccinations and also meet all the other volunteers that I’ll spend the next two years with. From there, we have a direct flight from DC to Johannesburg, South Africa.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2009 Nokuthula All rights reserved. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Template by Anshul