Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Home Town News Release

Erin Jamison, 23, the daughter of Carl and Elaine Jamison, has been accepted into the Peace Corps. She will be departing for Republic of South Africa on January 28th to become an HIV/AIDS Outreach Worker. Jamison's work will include volunteering in community HIV/AIDS outreach help youth enhance assertiveness skills, serve as mentors/ role models, and develop peer support networks. In addition, volunteers work to acquire psycho-social and physical support services for orphans, people living with HIV/AIDS, and vulnerable children. A graduate of Ponderosa High School in Parker, Colorado, she attended Colorado State University in Fort Collins, Colorado and earned a bachelors in Social Work, graduating in 2008.

**What motivated or attracted you to join the Peace Corps?
I began volunteering while attending my church youth group growing up. Words can't begin to describe the impact that these experience have had on me. I have had the privilege to do volunteer work throughout the US and on an international level. With this passion it was only fitting that I went into the field of Social Work. I wanted to find a way to do long term international volunteer work once I graduated from college and the Peace Corps provided a way to fulfill this goal.

**Did family and friends influence your decision to join the Peace Corps?
One of the biggest questions I get in regards to the joining the Peace Corps is what my parents think. My answer is always that they support me 110% but they don't want me to leave. Everyone is very supportive of me going into the Peace Corps.

**What are your career goals once you complete your Peace Corps service?
As of right now, once I return from the PC I hope to go back to school and get my masters in Social Work. At this point, I am unsure of what area of social work I want to pursue. After all, these next two years could change everything.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Goals, btw. I think you have the right mindset to really get the most out of service.

BTW, since you asked about blog design:

http://btemplates.com is an awesome place to find realy neat designs that you can easily install on blogger. If I still had my Blogger blog I would have used some of them.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2009 Nokuthula All rights reserved. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Template by Anshul